Sunday, November 22, 2009

What I have been keeping from you.

Items from Baking lab, which would have been revealed here had I not gotten Swine Flu/Bird Flu/SARS/Indonesian Death Flu/whatever it was I had.

Puff pastry. From scratch. Surprisingly, it did not require ingredients such as unicorn hair, pixie dust or fairy wings. The ingredients are pretty much the same as pie dough. And it worked! It really worked!


We filled them with a mushroom stuffing. Yummy!


We also made this fruit strip thingy from the puff pastry dough. I hated it. Puff pastry with a lemon cream cheese filling with apricot halves, topped with a sugar glaze. I thought the cream cheese curdled in the time it took the thing to bake. Also the lemon zest was too overpowering with the apricots. I would never make this again. I'd use the technique, but with different ingredients.


Vanilla napoleon. Also with puff pastry. Also yummy.


Pear frangipane tartlettes. Frangipane is an almond paste.


Fresh fruit tart with vanilla pastry cream and clumpy apricot glaze.


Les croissants! Plain, ham and cheese and chocolate. Dude. So. Good.


Souffles with gruyere, dill and dijon. Fell pretty quickly due to lack of sugar to add structure.


Japonais meringue discs which became the...


...Japonais Meringue Cake.


Finally, here's what I did on the last lab of the semester. I'll spare you the graphic details. I burned my arm on the open door of the top deck oven. Ouch. It's pretty big. And ugly.

5 comments:

Kristina P. said...

Ouch! I burned my fingers with browned butter, a couple of weeks ago. So painful!

But man, it all looks worth it!

FoxyMoron said...

Sorry you had the flu (or flus).

So, puff pastry does NOT come from the supermarket freezer?

Zelmarific said...

That stuff looks fantastic!

I always burn myself baking, too. Get well soon!

Meg said...

To add insult to injury, I'm having an allergic reaction to the tape I've used. I have a huge puffy red welt where the tape was. Grrrr.

Thanks for the compliments! I wish I could share with you all!

Linda said...

Your napoleon looks divine!