Sunday, May 24, 2009

Let the fun begin!

I feel bad that I have somewhat neglected this blog since my knee surgery. I haven't been really cooking since then. In fact, last week my big triumph was making myself a salad! I was thinking today that I'd start a new feature here on Sundays at Maison Meg In The Kitchen. I'm going to begin posting culinary terms once a week. Once school begins in August, I'll begin transitioning into what I'm learning in school. You're totally excited about this, aren't you? I can tell. Control yourself.


Vanner
A French culinary term meaning to stir a hot cream, sauce, or mixture until it is cold, with a wooden spatula or a whisk, to keep it smooth and particularly to prevent a skin forming on its surface. This process also shortens the cooling time.

5 comments:

peewee said...

oh yah! like the skin on top of the pudding when it cools in the fridge! Who knew it had a fancy name?!

CailinMarie said...

I AM excited. however I need you to do a favor, tag them with the vocabulary word so when I've got to search and find something I stand 1/2 a chance. (you know I can't remember anything these days)

Meg said...

Ya know that's a good idea. These are techniques and such I'll actually be using. Consider it done!

FoxyMoron said...

I love it! Wonder how I would pronounce that word???

Debbie said...

I've never heard of that!