Sunday, July 26, 2009

Breakfast of champions

I will never cease to be amazed by popovers. You pour a lumpy, watery batter into a pan, you close the oven door and in about a half an hour you get this light, eggy, fluffy and impossibly tall pastry. Popovers are a great way to start a fancy brunch. Serve them at a luncheon, like a bridal or baby shower. Make these for that special someone for a romantic breakfast in bed.

There are some who will insist that you must have a popover pan in order to properly produce this finicky pastry. "Nonsense," says I. I have always used a muffin pan. A popover pan has cups that are about the same volume as a regular muffin pan, but the cups are taller and skinnier.

I used a new recipe this time. I worked out so well that I'm giddy with excitement! See for yourself!



Popovers. Homemade jam. Does it get any better than this?


----------------------------------------
Popovers

4 eggs
2 cups of milk
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt

Grease a 12 cup regular sized muffin pan. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

Whisk eggs until light and uniform in color but not fluffy, about a minute or two. Add milk and whisk only until incorporated. Measure out flour and dump it in the bowl all at once. Dump in the salt on top of it. Then stir with a wooden spoon until all the flour has been moistened and incorporated. Batter will be lumpy. Pour into prepared muffin pan, filling cups almost to top.

Place pan in very hot oven and bake for 30 minutes. DO NOT OPEN THE DOOR. Once pan comes out of the the oven, poke the tops with a sharp knife to let the steam escape. Let rest for 5 minutes then turn out of pan. Serve with butter, jam, or flavored butter of your choice.

Notes:

Eggs should measure 1 cup. You may need more or less egg depending on size you have on hand. I made a half batch this morning. I only needed 2 cage-free nest eggs to get 1/2 cup, but I used the two larger of the four eggs I had.

My friend, M., likes these with garlic and cheese in them. I've never done it, but I'll definitely try it! I'd start with a half of a cup of grated cheese and a clove of minced garlic mixed in after the milk but before the flour.

Don't whisk or stir this batter too long. You really don't want to add any air.

These need to bake with the oven door closed and for exactly 30 minutes on 450. You do have an oven thermometer, don't you? Be sure to check your oven thermometer and set the temperature dial accordingly. I am super lucky to have an oven that is spot on in temperature. Most folks are not. You DO NOT want to use a convection setting if you have it.

8 comments:

Linda said...

Looks yummy!

Kristina P. said...

Oh my gosh! I LOVE popovers! In fact, I spent one afternoon looking at recipes, and I had no idea how easy they were. I need to get a pan.

In fact, we went to The Original Pancake houe yesterday, and the only think I ever get is their Dutch Baby, basically a large popover. I love it so much.

CailinMarie said...

I'm confused. what is the difference between a popover, a muffin and a roll?
homemade jam - oh my.
one of my favorite treats is GOOD raspberry jam with butter on hot biscuits (or any other sinful pure white flour - small bread like thing)

3 Bay B Chicks said...

You're back, Meg! And, might I say, better than ever. Love, love, love your new look. It does you proud.

Also really appreciate knowing your school schedule this fall. It makes stalking you so much easiest.

:)

-Francesca

Kathy B! said...

I do NOT have an oven thermometer!! I thought that's what the little dial on the oven was for!! This sounds yummy enough, though, that I might have to break down and get one...

And you should run for school board. I would campaign for you like a maniac!!

lou said...

I'm glad I found your blog!

I found a new popover pan, still in the box with recipes and such at the thrift store. I made them for the first time when my mother-in-law was visiting and she was very impressed!

Anonymous said...

They look delicious. Have never had a popover...

What is 450 degrees in Centigrade?

S said...

Oh,yum! Must add popover pan and oven thermometer to shopping list!