Sunday, December 7, 2008

Chacon Chip Cookies

1 recipe Nestle Toll House Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe, prepared according to directions

1 pack, or 18 oz, Black Forest Dry Rubbed Salt Cured bacon (minus the three pieces that I ate before I made cookies)
-----
Cook bacon in oven on 425 degrees for about 15 minutes. It's important to cook the bacon pretty well done, but not burned. Cut off any burned bits or extra fatty pieces. Chop bacon into 1/4" dice.
-----
When you get to the point where you add the chocolate chips to the dough, add the bacon also. Mix just until combined.

Bake according to directions on the chocolate chip bag.


Notes:

First of all, if you're going to make a chocolate chip cookie, don't mess around. Just use the Toll House recipe. It's the perfect chocolate chip cookie. Don't be fooled by imitations. If you don't have the Toll House recipe, let me know and I'll add it here.

I didn't buy butter because I had a ton of shortening already. I used butter flavored Crisco in place of the butter.

I had a hard time finding a good bacon to use. Most of the bacon I found were too fatty. Don't get me wrong, bacon fat has it's place, but I wanted a meatier bacon for the cookies. (Move over bacon, now there's something meatier!) (Sizzlean, anyone?) (Sorry.)

I settled on this Black Forest bacon for a couple reasons. One, it was meatier than the others. Two, the girl in the Whole Foods meat department (who thinks I'm crazy) suggested this might work better. She said the rub on the bacon was sweeter than the others. I was actually leaning towards the applewood smoked bacon. I got this Black Forest kind instead, which I am assuming has a seasoning like a Black Forest ham, which is tasty.

I spoke to a friend who has a friend who makes chocolate covered bacon. I understand that through trial and error he has discovered that the smoked bacon doesn't work quite so well. In this case, I think I just got lucky and picked the right kind of bacon. While this bacon won't be my first choice for breakfast, I will definitely use it for these cookies again.

2 comments:

Kristina P. said...

Ha! I love it. The bacon is tricky. I definitely learned that it needs to be lean, which my understanding is the middle cut. If it's fatty, it doesn't crisp up, and it's sort of gross.

Meg said...

I don't particularly like my bacon well done. But for this, it really needs to be. I am trying so hard to not eat the other 11 I baked off tonight.