Sunday, December 14, 2008

Cream of Mushroom Soup

1 small white onion
2 small carrots
3 ribs of celery
12 oz. mushrooms
1 small acorn squash
1 large baking potato
1 quart 2% milk
2 cups half and half
1 tbsp butter (optional)
salt and pepper to taste

Peel carrots, potato, and acorn squash. Chop all veggies into even 1/2" pieces. Saute in large stock pot with olive oil for 10 minutes. Add milk, half and half and butter. Simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally. When all veggies are soft, whiz up with stick blender until smooth.

Notes:
You could season with fresh sage, marjoram or oregano, if you had any. I did not. I was also going for a fast and simple mushroom soup.

The potato thickens this allowing you to use the lower fat dairy products, rather than the traditional whole milk and cream.

Leave out the acorn squash for a more traditional mushroom soup.

Keep a watchful eye on this. If you burn dairy in or on the stove, the only solution usually is to buy another pot or stove. It makes an awful mess.

6 comments:

CailinMarie said...

well look at you! when were you working in "professional kitchens"??? and I'm going to try this soup!

Meg said...

In 1993 I quit college to be a chef. I worked around town in a couple places. I went back to school many years later and graduated in 2000.

Meg said...

Oh, I'm now thinking that it needs two quarts of milk instead.

Ina in Alaska said...

Thanks for your comment on the I Phone on the Life As I Know It blog, although it would be nice if you could text msg a picture. I e mail photos from I phone all the time. Love it!! Have a great day!

Kalpz said...

Wow...I am going to try this for sure,,,keep posting !!!!world cuisines...:D

Meg said...

Hey, thanks! Thanks for stopping by!