Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Foxy Moron's Egg Casserole

Here you go, Foxy, something to do with all of those eggs!

1 bunch fresh spinach, washed well
1 medium shallot, finely chopped
1/2 log goat cheese, about 4 ounces
12 fresh eggs
1 1/3 cup cream
olive oil
~ 1 tsp each salt & pepper

Saute shallot and fresh spinach in saute pan until spinach is wilted. Drain well and add to generously oiled casserole dish, spreading evenly. Crumble goat cheese evenly into the bottom of the casserole onto spinach. Break all twelve eggs into a large mixing bowl. Add cream. Mix with a stick blender for about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Pour over spinach and goat cheese mixture. Poke into egg mixture anything that bobs to the top. Bake on 350 degrees, about 45 minutes, or until center is set and edges are browned.

Notes:
Cooked spinach is W-E-T wet! Drain well so you don't get a soupy, eggy mess!

I prefer to crack them one at a time into a small bowl then add to the larger bowl. The first time you break a bad egg into a large bowl of prepared ingredients, you will too!

If you don't have a stick blender, know it's worth the investment. This step incorporates a lot of air and will make the eggs super light and fluffy.

For this, I used a clear, glass 2.75 quart pan, measuring 7 1/2" x 9 1/2" x 3". Your mileage may vary with a different pan. The deep dish worked great for this!

4 comments:

FoxyMoron said...

Yum! I am so going to make this. I love spinach and I got 13 eggs out of the hen house yesterday. I think we forget to check the day before.
Wow a recipe dedicated to me. I am honoured.
Love the recipe site btw I will be a regular visitor.

Meg said...

I made this for my friends when I had them over to watch the parade. Everyone raved about it, even the kids. It was just something I whipped up, partially because I had so much cream to use up from the biscuits! Be sure to whiz this up, even in a regular blender to get it so fluffy!

Enjoy!

FoxyMoron said...

So you actually made this recipe up Meg? God I hardly ever do that. Can't wait to try it. I even told meat lover Phill about it today and he said "let's do it!" I think he meant make the recipe..........

Meg said...

Totally made it up. All by myself.

What are we up to, Number 23? I used to be a chef. I quit to go back to school. Long story, to be explained later.

You and Phill should do it. Then make the egg casserole later. ;)