Sunday, December 14, 2008

Chocolate Crackles

When I get sick, I crave two things. Kettle cooked potato chips and chocolate cookies. These are the cookies I crave. A little crunchy on the outside, a little soft on the inside. I think what I like most about this recipe is that you have everything you need to make these cookies in your kitchen right now.

Many years ago, when I was working in professional kitchens, my aunt and uncle gave me a cookbook called Light Cooking. It doesn't seem to be written by anyone in particular, and it uses ingredients by Dannon, Dole, Borden, and many other household brands. It includes some nutritional information at the end of each recipe. Since not everyone (read: my family) wants to try Olive Lemon Cookies, this is a nice option for healthier stuff that everyone will like. This might be my favorite cookie. Observe:


You can see where this is going, right? I only took 2 dozen of these to the swap. I got about 3 dozen out of this recipe, which claims to make 4 dozen. My first batch were definitely a bit too big.

Chocolate Crackles (yield 4 dozen), from Light Cooking
-----------------------------------------------
1/3 cup Crisco vegetable oil
1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1 egg
2 egg whites
1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup powdered sugar

1. Heat oven to 350 degrees

2. Combine Crisco oil, granulated sugar and vanilla in large bowl. Beat a medium speed of electric mixer until blended. Add egg and egg whites. Beat until well blended. Stir in flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt with spoon.

3. Place powdered sugar in a shallow dish or plastic food storage bag.

4. Shape dough into 1" balls. Roll or shake in powdered sugar until coated. Place about 2" apart on an ungreased baking sheet.

5. Bake at 350 degrees for 7 to 8 minutes or until almost no indention remains when touched lightly. (Do not overbake.) Cool on baking sheet 2 minutes before moving to cooling rack.

Nutrients per serving (1 cookies):
60 calories
2g fat
5mg cholesterol
35 mg sodium

Notes:

I always use parchment paper for baking. I hate silicon baking mats. They don't work as well as parchment, they are hard to clean and hard to store. Many people like them. More power to them, but I'm old school. That's how I roll.

No comments: