Saturday, August 22, 2009

Because I didn't get enough time in the kitchen yesterday, or why it's good to be my friend.

Last night, I hijacked the kitchen of dear friends, J&L. They bought a house about a year ago with a really nice, spacious kitchen. He also works for That Famous Kitchen Store you see at the mall, so their kitchen is stocked with at least one of every gadget, tool or appliance one could need, or at least that I could need. My kitchen on the other hand, is small, lacks storage, only has one sink and no dishwasher. On the bright side, it has more counter space than my last kitchen had...a whopping 12 inches. Can you say, "kitchen FAIL?"

I've been craving cioppino recently, but as I proved last night, it is impossible to make cioppino for one. For those unfamiliar, cioppino is an Italian influenced seafood stew from San Francisco, CA. In the late 1800s, in San Francisco the Italian fisherman created this dish from their catch of the day and a tomato and wine sauce. It can be served over or with pasta. It prefer it with bread. If you go to Italy and try to order cioppino, they will think you are crazy. It's not an Italian dish.

There aren't many rules for cioppino, except for the whole seafood, white wine and tomatoes thing. Last night, I used a Three Buck Chuck white wine, a can and a half of crushed tomatoes, a can of diced tomatoes, two fennel bulbs, garlic, an onion, leeks, lemon juice, parsley, basil, mussels, clams, cod, scallops, and shrimp. I cooked it in a 7qt. Le Creuset Dutch Oven. The pot was full almost to the top! It was served with the bread I made in class yesterday. It was delicious.

Before


After

6 comments:

Shoshanah Marohn said...

Mmmmm... considering a move to... where was that you live? North Carolina... mmmm... maybe maybe maybe...

Linda said...

Yum. Sounds so good.

CailinMarie said...

OMG!
BTW - I have a FABULOUS kitchen and while I don't work at a kitchen store it is fairly well decked out. And there is LOTS of space when we kick the kids out...
But I need to try that. It looks delicous!

CailinMarie said...

except for knives - my knives are passable but not likely going to impress you.
just fair warning-

peewee said...

I seriously need to move next door to you!

Kathy B! said...

Yum! Wish I lived a little closer. I would've crashed that party :)