Thursday, August 6, 2009

Breakfast of champions, revised

I picked up some friends from the airport yesterday morning. In exchange for my chauffeur services, I got breakfast. We have a little joint not far from where I live called Finch's. I've seen it before, driven past for years but never stopped. It's on Peace Street, almost sandwiched under the Capitol Boulevard overpass. It looks, dare I say it, a bit beat down. However, every morning, the parking lot is packed with cars. Apparently this is the place to meet for a breakfast meeting with the law making movers and shakers about town. Finch's is only a few blocks from the legislature building, and as my friend put it, legislation begins here and finishes up over there.


View Larger Map

Finch's is an old school greasy spoon where one might find locals who have been eating there and the folks who've been serving them since the dawn of time. Personally, I'd like for Guy Fieri to visit. They serve good diner food and a proper Southern Breakfast, including grits, biscuits, sausage, pancakes, waffles, and so on. I opted for my personal favorite. Biscuits and gravy.

Amazing!


Biscuits and gravy is something I eat maybe once every six months. It's good, but not good for you. For those of you who are unfamiliar with Southern American cooking, it's a loose sausage (think ground meat) in a cream gravy. Good stuff, people, good stuff. Finch's was exceptional. The gravy was served piping hot over two soft fluffy biscuits. It had a good sausage flavor, but it was also pleasantly spicy. It was excellent, and I ate every bite. The coffee was pretty good too. The prices were more than fair. The service was good. All in all, it was a great experience and I can't wait to go back.

If you find yourself in Raleigh and in need of some breakfast, drop by Finch's. They'll treat you right and fill you up.

6 comments:

Kathy B! said...

I LOVE biscuits and gravy! LOVE IT!

I am so going to check this out. I don't eat it often either, so when I do have it I want it to be good...

peewee said...

OH MY GOD!!! I AM DYING!!! That looks SOOOOOO good. And I haven't had breakfast yet! YUMMMMM! You are making this very hard. Kathy B talks of NC snakes, and here you are with NC breakfast. UGH! Makes moving there VERY challenging. Snakes/biscuits&gravy.....can I really endure snakes in the name of amazing breakfast foods??? This is like one of those moral dilemma questions.

Kristina P. said...

If you didn't know, Peewee loves breakfast food. This sounds super delicious!

CailinMarie said...

I'm tired, I'm hungry and now I really really really want biscuits and gravy and coffee. sigh...

Linda said...

Yum. That's something you have to have in the South. We don't make it right up North!

Anonymous said...

Glad you enjoyed it, but as a vegetarian, I say: NO thanks!